To strengthen our team, we are seeking to hire at the earliest possible starting date an Associate – Energy Transition in Southeast Europe (m/f)
Countries throughout Southeast Europe (SEE) have high shares of electricity generated by an aging fleet of coal-fired generators (lignite and hard-coal). Decisions for modernizing or replacing a significant share of these capacities will be taken within the next decade. The region has a vast potential for developing renewable energy that currently remains largely unexplored as well as significant opportunities for enhancing energy efficiency.
The political commitment of governments in SEE to implementing the Paris Agreement on climate change, the EU’s push for an integrative, economy-wide approach to climate and energy policy-making and the close geographical and political ties between countries in SEE offer a unique opportunity to advance decarbonisation and energy transition in the region over the coming decade.
Agora Energiewende and think tank partners from SEE (EU Member States and Western Balkan countries) are working to advance progressive thinking and action about decarbonisation and national / regional energy transition strategies in SEE. We develop evidence-based strategies for ensuring a successful energy transition. As an independent and non-partisan think tank we engage with a broad set of stakeholders from politics, business and academia.
To support our expanding work on SEE energy transition dialogues we are seeking to hire an Associate (m/f).
Your responsibilities would include
- Developing studies, memos and policy papers on SEE energy transition and energy policy;
- Translating insights from the German Energiewende and energy transitions in other countries and regions for an SEE audience;
- Project management support for our SEE energy transition dialogue projects; Organising expert meetings and workshops together with SEE partners;
- Preparing meetings with stakeholders at national and regional level as well as in Brussels and following-up on meetings;
- Networking with SEE stakeholders, including government representatives, academics, business representatives, think tanks, and associations.
- An opportunity to work in a highly motivated and professional team;
- Stimulating and communicative work environment, attractively located in Berlin;
- A chance to gain experience with the broad range of Agora Energiewende’s research and dialogue activities;
- Opportunities for professional growth and advancement.
What we are looking for
- A strong desire to actively shape the SEE energy transition;
- A Master’s degree in economics, environmental science, engineering, political science or a similar topic;
- Basic understanding of climate and energy policy and/or energy economics;
- Knowledge of (some) countries in the SEE region;
- Understanding of the European policy-process;
- Relevant internships; 1-2 years of relevant work experience is a plus;
- An ability to quickly grasp complex issues and work independently;
- Experience in organising workshops and conferences;
- Dedication, reliability, perseverance, and a strong intellect;
- Willingness to regularly travel between Germany and the SEE region;
- Fluency in English, German and at least in one language of the SEE region.
The employment contract would initially be limited to two years; an extension is possible. The position is based in Berlin, with frequent travel to the SEE region.
Please send your English application (including a letter of motivation and CV) to firstname.lastname@example.org (subject: “Application Associate SEE Energy Transition”). The deadline for applications is 3 December 2017. Please indicate your salary expectations as well as your earliest possible starting date.
Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Marie Haßheider (Telephone +49 30 700 1435 – 111).
Visited 797 times, 5 Visits today